Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Sports Scholarship Story

I know a great many high school students who play on sports teams. Half of them have dreams of going to the Pros, whether it be the NHL or NFL, NBA or into MLB. They have all heard stories of high school students getting "full rides" to Division I colleges or being drafted into the Pros right out of high school. Yes, that does happen sometimes, but the chances of making it to the majors are 1 in 50,000. Walter Leavy wrote an insightful article  for Ebony magazine back in 1998 about his own personal experience with trying to make it to the Pros. It's a short article, well worth reading.

I was at my local Starbucks the other morning, waiting for my appointment to show up, when I picked up the local newspaper, The Palo Alto Daily News and read a very interesting story  by one of their columnists, Jason Katz. The article answers the question about full ride scholarships.

Always a good idea to have a Plan B ;-)

No comments: